Total Pageviews

Friday, March 29, 2013

the arab world


“Dear newly recruited doctors . Let me introduce you to the types of radiology cases you will encounter frequently  .  We get lot of accident cases  .  Then we get head injuries not accident related but due to falling from height by maids … potential suicides  “--- the head of department is briefing the radiology team which includes me  .

As radiologists we are never exposed to the blood of trauma victims(we deal with clean images  )   but it was disturbing to think that we will be reporting on images of  people who are victims not of an accident or a natural cause but due to cruelty of man upon man  .Maids being tortured by their employers in a foreign country  and that too maids from developing country like mine  .
 
Before I worked in Kuwait  I always thought that I was a potential candidate for hell in the day of judgement  . For  though a good man (yes I am ). since I don’t do any of the rituals of any religion  I am a potential candidate for hell  .  But after I worked there I realized I will have big competition to hell  . 

Let me explain  .  Inspite of being a country which even professed  high standards of morality that was the first time I really saw hypocrisy and the way sins was practiced firsthand  .  Whatever is said in the religious texts as forbidden I saw around me  .  Not that other countries these things don’t happen . But here they happen as if to challenge god . For on one hand they say about religion too much  , has even got the beads on their hand to show off that they think about god 24/7  but do all the vices more than the average Indian . And of course “severe punishments  “  if you are found out  .

Maybe its a collective hallucination of the blue collar workers like drivers working at homes many of them told they were asked by local women for their "services" which is not related to their work .And some of them have even ran away when they were threatened with blackmail for refusing . 

If kuwait is a moderate in all these , the real extreme one is Saudi Arabia a country which is unparalleled in so many things . When recently i heard many indians are going to be sent back to india due to nationalisation of labour  i  felt happy rather than worried . For  though given a tax free salary  being treated as second class citizens and even in many cases held as  slaves  by  employers  is  not that rare  in that country  .  

Thinking out loudly if they didnt have their oil would anyone given them as much status as even somalia  ?  And what about the terrible human rights violations ?  

For those of you who ask me why i am not so vocal about the other countries ... like the prisoner abuse in thai jails  ... its because in Saudi  its  state sponsored hypocrisy and doing things in the name of God and religion . So i think i will probably be outside hell because of the no vacancy board outside hell .. 







1 comment: