Total Pageviews

Sunday, June 13, 2021

Music learning

 Mosquito is one of the creatures that kills maximum number of humans in this world . Not the lion , not the tiger not even crocodile . For me though it hasnt killed me yet , mosquitoes were responsible for killing my guitar learning many decades back . I still remember i was proud of my newly bought guitar but each time i tried to learn it a mosquito bite not only irritated me but it added to the frustration of learning a new instrument  . In those days i was too timid to complain to the then teacher about the mosquito problem and i saw the easy way out .. stop the class and it was the end of a juvenile music prodigy ( kidding )  

 Thus i had to put the guitar to rest for a few years .Then i got a teacher who taught me the basics of guitar in the western classical style . He was amazing and his teaching was superb . I learnt for a few months and then discontinued . This time i couldnt say the excuse of mosquitoes . 

But the real learning of the instrument came when i was old ... really old considering most child prodigies start at  age 3 . This time my guru came home to teach  and this time there was no excuses . He came to teach at my home which is fairly devoid of mosquitoes . And being a big fan of pop music , this teacher taught me guitar highly customised to my  taste . This was a few years back and i never turned back after that . Didnt become a child prodigy or even a prodigy but could accompany my favorite songs on the guitar . A professional guitarist takes years to master it but if there is passion within ( and absence of mosquitoes )  guitar is an easy instrument to learn . The fun part is it is never too late to learn as these days when i talk to people many of them say they are too old to learn an instrument  . 

There are hundreds of scientific papers published on benefits of learning a musical instrument and the surprising part is learning an instrument even helps brain in other areas which are not related to music . And of course the fun and passion of making music cannot be explained in words . 

And lastly ingredients of learning an instrument is :  1 passion for music   2 . getting a good teacher , friendly and reasonably knowledgeable 3  . absence of mosquitoes . Wishing  you a happy learning experience

No comments:

Post a Comment