Total Pageviews

Thursday, October 3, 2013

enjoying the moment --music

                                                               

                                                           Long ago during my school days we looked forward to the friday last period . During that time the talented ones used to present mimicry , monoact or even quiz programs for the entertainment of the class .There was no prize for any of these events . For a million dollar i cannot do mimicry ,neither could i conduct a quiz program . Being an audience was ok but every friday i felt like i should also do something .  I had done speeches for competitions with shaking knees but in an all boys school in the entertainment hour no one is in mood for a speech that too a shaky speech ..( threshold for howling is rather low too )  .

And then one day it happened . I gave my name for singing . Not that i was a great singer but having sang along my favourite malayalam songs at home (not in the bathroom :) )  i thought why not sing it in front of the whole class . No accompaniment is a challenge without any guitar or drums . But i went for it . I faced the class and started humming and soon the words started flowing in the tune of the song i had heard and sang along n number of times . I still remember the moment when i was immersed in my song oblivious of the surroundings . There was no target prize , not even the recognition of my classmates . Those 5 minutes only the music mattered and i could realise that expression was evident to my classmates .  What i was not expecting was the applause from my classmates and many of them told me they enjoyed it so much especially they felt so much into the music . I also got paper written with words of appreciation from some .
Over the years though not a "singer " i have sang on stages with accompaniment and also in family gatherings . And before that incident i had took part in umpteen number of stage competitions of light music , poem recital etc  .. But i think that particular friday i realised that its not the prize or not even the applause that was the most important but immersing yourself in the moment and enjoying it yourself.... the moment

And i think on that day my trembling knees disappeared on stage .  The song btw was Mizhiyoram from  movie Manjil virinja pookkal ( flowers which blossomed in the snow ) a beautiful piece of music .. Check youtube ..


2 comments:

  1. overcoming these little moments of hesitation makes us confident and positive in life :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. well said .. and enjoying the moments too :)

    ReplyDelete