Total Pageviews

Sunday, November 25, 2012

lessons from haircuts --- value for money


Is happiness proportional to the  money you spend ?  Is the man in the bmw happier than one in a nano  (assuming he derives all his happiness from his car  )  .  No  no  i am  not  going to talk about this debate as i love both these cars bmw for being the ultimate drivers car and nano for the ultimate value for money engineering marvel  .

Coming to haircuts .  Recently  me and my cousin were in chennai and as i have this habit of searching for a haircutting place at the last minute and since i was not very happy with the hygeine standards of local chennai haircutters i landed at a clean place one of the branded international hairstylists.  I knew that i was going there not for their brand but to make sure that i had a clean hygeinic haircut . And the cost of 500 rs for  a haircut i knew very well is not value for money  .  But for me there is no problem in an occasional indulgence so there i was ....

The place was very clean , fairly stylish and the question came : you want a junior( 500 rs ) or senior stylist (800 rs )  . I knew that cleanliness will be same for both and being a high end place and this much charge junior will have "reasonable " expertise at least 10 times more than the person who usually cuts my hair at trivandrum .  Haircut started but soon i felt there were some extra clangs to the music which was played . I ignored the first few clangs and turned around and saw to my shock to see that each clang was the scissors falling from his hand while he was doing some acrobatics with it  . I casually asked him about his training as this was international brand . He was telling about international (australia training and singapore internship )  trainings and i learnt that even hair cutting has international trainings .  It was not  the clangs i was worried about now but soon i saw hair getting grossly unevenly cut that even an idiot like me (in haircutting im an idiot  : its not my job )  could realise that the hair cutting is going totally hayware . I politely told him " Please cut more on the sides , now there ... etc "  .  By the time my haircutting was over i was relieved of both the procedure as well as my money  .

I have had haircuts for as little as 15 rs  (yes in this day and age :  at delhi )  to 1500 rs (in a gulf country ) . Looking back retrospectively i cant but smile that the 1500 rs haircut person the main difference was he was asking me around 20 questions at each stage of the haircut many of them irrelevant like the angle of the sideburns .  And paradoxically though the 15 rs haircut was not the best haircut i had , it was reasonably hygeinic and the endresult was not bad .  And for my current 500 rs haircut at the international brand at chennai  ...please dont look at my hair till next haircut ... i look like a porcupine :)  a porcupine with 500 rs less on my pocket  

1 comment:

  1. It must be that day of the year. Hair cuts in the US cost $15 and add that to the wait time and you'll understand why Shiraz and I decided to give the "home haircut kit" a try. It's fairly easy to use but lets just leave it at this: He's been wearing a cap to work everyday now since 24th November 2012!!!

    ReplyDelete