Total Pageviews

Friday, November 9, 2012

lessons from a child


I love “some” hospital canteens . Being a foodie you may think what am I talking about ? . If hospital canteen of Ramkrishna hospital Coimbatore is outsourced to the best south Indian hotel in india Annapoorna(tripadvisor coimbatore for details )  how can you blame me for the above comment .

So I was sitting there last week waiting for my masala dosa and the filter coffee relishing the smile the friendly waiter gave me (hospitality and tamilnadu has got a connection too ) . Soon a dad walked in with his two kids a boy and a girl .  It reminded me of my childhood when our dad made it a point to take us to all the restaurants in town every week .
My dosa came and I was enjoying the great taste for the 100 th time as I have visited Coimbatore more than 20 times over last 5 years . Suddenly a sweet envy (it was not a bad feeling I promise ) went through me . I was thoroughly enjoying the crisp dosa but someone else was enjoying it more . There she was the 7 year old child carefully inspecting , rolling the masala dosa she received , face full of curiosity and giving the dosa 100 percent attention like the world outside didn’t exist .And that was not the end … she was thrilled at the sight , the smell , the taste of dosa that she was dancing in the seat and eating .
What is the message from the little girls actions ?  Of course as adults we cannot dance while eating a dosa even if we are ecstatic . But we can imbibe a few things  :
1.       Try to be in the here and now to enjoy the moment rather than living forever in the past and future . I have seen many people who worry endlessly about the future and all the big goals .
But the pleasure is in the small things which are often attainable for a few rupees .

2.       Try to retain the childhood curiosity in everything . Not only is it a source of knowledge but also it’s a pleasurable activity by itself .
3.       Do complain but don’t forever be a complainer especially regarding the cards you are dealt with in life  .  Try to see the positives in life sometimes  . (I have seen people complaining about worlds problems and the wrong flavor even while eating baskin robbins icecream … that’s criminal J  ) 
                                                                        And my personal suggestion :  don’t go after godmen and godwomen  to get great advice …. Just observe nature including children and animals . You may get the answers . Comments are welcome as usual 

4 comments:

  1. well said,my dear friend...ur thoughts r inspiring...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicely written......... Now its time, being a foodie..............some other items should be seen on ur platter...and moments like that should make u remind of ur kids rather than.......... ;)
    Bask-in-robbins is bestest.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @deepa .. thanks for reading .
    @paresh .. thanks once again .
    @mahaveer ... i sometimes feel these independant observations gives me more insights . If all parents watched their kids and learnt their good qualities this world would have been heaven ..
    Btw you are an exception , a nice man..

    ReplyDelete