Total Pageviews

Friday, April 11, 2014

From udumalpet ..... hospitality redefined

Recently i visited Coimbatore on an official trip . And i have gone on countless official trips in india and abroad . Of course in some cities i have met friends , had dinner with them and enjoyed their company . Having used to the comfortable life of a corporate job i am used to comfortable transport , star hotel stays etc . But this time all that came to a standstill .

"Our driver will pick you ". My host was telling me . I politely declined . But no amount of declining helped my case . On the early hours of morning 5 :46 to be precise the driver failed to turn up . It can happen . But what i was not prepared for was the hosts husband itself within 7 minutes coming personally and picking me up . He personally took me for coffee and arranged accomodation for me . Took me for breakfast and for the entire three hours spent quality time talking to me .

Whats the big deal ? Hes your host . Its his/her duty .. you may tell me ... But tell me i am meeting him for the first time and a busy businessman for whom each second is important neednt spend 3 hours for an "aquaintance " .

My troubles had just started . During the day time he arranged a driver for me for standby support inspite of my protests . Any shopping , any visits the driver will take me . Again remember i am not his long lost friend or a close relative . But hospitality is beyond all these things . Is he a rajput :) I looked again ? I have blogged on the legendary rajput hospitality after my jaipur visits . But he , my friends husband is from south india .

Evening is further complicated by my friend and her husband . They insisted that i stay in their lovely apartment and be their guest . I am protesting in malayalam , hindi and tamil . But who is listening ? :) They are asking why i should stay in a hotel when they are there to host me ? I have no answer ..

The icing on the cake is when my friend and her husband came travelling from their town udumalpet to coimbatore travelling and gave a fantastic treat at one of the best hotels at Coimbatore . It was a lovely evening and she made sure that i was at home in her city . She even brought her kid , husband and family friend to greet me . As is a known fact in food the presentation of food and the ambience increases the taste and the food was extra tasty because of the warm hospitality and the relaxed attitude of the hosts .

I dont think words on a blog can put the feeling i had after enjoying their hospitality from the moment i landed . Not that i didnt get hospitality at other places . But as they say "exceeding expectations " is rare . And this case was more unique because she was neither my classmate, best friend or close relative . She was My senior . And I never had this level of hospitality before . And as a keen observer of humans ( read my blogs ) and feedbacks from common friends i have only one explanation ..... Though Rare some people are very nice . And they do express their niceness and hospitality is one way of expressing it .. Thanks Senior from Udumalpet ...( i have only one senior from there :) )

2 comments: