Total Pageviews

Tuesday, January 1, 2013

delhi rape and some little thoughts

                                                     Exactly  five years ago  i was speaking to my friend who is a girl from mumbai  . Casually chatting as i was new to mumbai then she remarked that after a long journey by bus she reached at 2 am at home .  "What  ... 2 am midnight   ?  "  Werent you afraid  ?  I asked  ..
"This is mumbai  ... Here we girls feel safe whatever the time is  .  "she replied  .

3 years ago  :   Gurgaon near  Delhi  .... I told my friend  " Hey man  ...Nice cool place  ... I am going to eat out  at 9 pm  "  .  " Be careful  "   ....He replied  ...

" What ?  Its only 9 pm  "  I told him  and i am a man  ..

"Boss ... It doesnt matter  ... Its not safe  ..."


                       No  i wont say point blank that Delhi and Gurgaon are bad places for safety of women and all other places in india or even the world are safe for women  .  But considering the statistics it remains true that certain regions of the country are relatively more unsafe for women .

But can rape be prevented  by cordoning off certain regions of india  or even by offering stricter punishments alone  .  Murder is punished (of course only if rarest )  by  capital punishment  but has that alone reduced the murder rates in any parts of the world  . The circumstances under which and motive of murder and rape are much different  of course but the point is  severe punishment "alone" is not going to stop this menace  .

The key thing is  a change in attitude towards women in this patriarchal soceity  .  (  If anyone still tells me we are an equal soceity  check at the boy: girl ratio of babies born in many parts of india )   .  And if  you tell me men alone are the perpetrators in the second class attitude towards women i wont ask you to look at  the saas -bahu serials but a serious rethink on what really happens in making women gender unequal  .And if you really go into rape in many cases its not only a crime of animal passion its a crime of control  of one person over another  .

Considering  the overwhelming response in facebook as well as protests  against that violent incidence of gang  rape its very clear that the public overwhelmingly is very concerned about this  . Of course speedy trial and speedy justice is the need of the hour in these cases .  But i feel still the most important factor is a serious rethink on what status we as a soceity gives to our women  .

In one of the articles in the newspaper  one woman journalist  was telling how she was groped during a protest  .  And paradoxically that protest was the very protest  of recent times against the rape of that innocent girl  .  Though overwhelming protestors have the best of intentions and this could be a random incident by a random miscreant among the protestors  .

But  the skewed sex ratio  , countless "  innocent " remarks against women and even these gropings arent they a serious wakeup call for  us overall regarding the status of women in our soceity  ...  ?

Hoping for peace for that innocent girl in the nether world  i wish all my friends to always speak up against any form of abuse be it physical , mental or sexual by anybody  so that may her soul rest in peace  ...









1 comment:

  1. Well-said. Unless things change at the ground level, the end-results cannot change. As protest messages went around FB, I couldn't help thinking how many of us would reach out to a woman if we witnessed some form of abuse to her.
    An incident in my initial days in Kerala comes to mind. I remember this autorickshaw driver who wouldn't let me pass; he blocked my way in a deliberate attempt. Eventually when I managed to overtake him, he chased me and stopped me. As people gathered, he completely twisted the story around to say that I had blocked him all along. My relatives who were in yet another car, had joined us. I was confident that they would support me, but they not only shut up (3 men in the group), but also gave me a sermon later on how it was important for me to realize that I was a woman and had to therefore learn to give in. Had my father been around (and in sound health), he would have reacted to the situation. Over time, I learnt that society here is not conducive to women. There are people who probably understand, but most do not wish to stand up for a cause. This came as a shock to me because in Karnataka (where I grew up), the attitude is different.
    I feel a lot of change has to come in the way we treat women. Society needs to be protective of them, and not suppressive.
    Vidya

    ReplyDelete