Total Pageviews

Saturday, January 5, 2013

Appreciation an art

                                                                "  Thank you Sir " we understood very well what you taught . Because its not mandatory in my field to thank me as i teach "customers "  each thank you is genuine and i like it much .
 "Your moustache looks nice "  :  it was not one girl but two girls together who was telling this to me   .  They never became my lovers so dont mistake me :)  but the point was that appreciation still rings in me though it was said many years back  .

The point is to be appreciated is a thing any human irrespective of his background likes . But though all of us like appreciation honestly think how frequently we appreciate other people verbally  . I am  not  telling the customary appreciation which is done and the flattery which some people do in the guise of appreciation . But true appreciation is an art and it gives joy both to the person who is giving it and the one who receives it  .And for many years i make it a point to always appreciate whenever i feel someone deserves appreciation from the peon to the high ranking person especially when someone really does his job well .And in this aspect (never done as flattery  )  i have got only positive feelings and as a sideeffect some friends too  ...

Though my subject of postgraduation( radiodiagnosis ) is a well appreciated subject in medical circles ( for its flexitime , latest technology contact etc)   and in nonmedical circles (for its high salary etc  )  while studying it i still remember the greatest appreciation came not from the people i met  .  It came in the form of a phone call from my uncle in United states whose voice still rings in my years when he told his great appreciation in my choosing this subject  ( he was a photographer )  . Today i am not surprised as so many people appreciate me on choosing this specialty but at those days it was a rarity to get a really positive appreciation especially from other side of the globe  .

To make a long story short ... For those who dont appreciate others "verbally" (appreciation in mind is not much use  ) pls start genuinely appreciating the positive things in others  .  Without exaggeration my cousin who was in kolkata genuinely appreciated some friends mothers cooking and from that day own he has always had best homecooked food (not flattery  mind you  ) .

And those who appreciate others already  pls continue that good habit  but dont overdo it  as the guy who always go to the pretty girls and say " You look pretty  "  ... Leave it to the seniors :)  joking  ...Say it at your own risk  :)  


6 comments:

  1. True appreciations brings joy and motivates people. When I joined my previous firm, a couple of years back “I was told at the time of interview that “ I will be dealing with a bunch of people who never wants to work” All I heard about them from management were nothing but negatives. Few months into the job I stated conducting frequent meetings during which I often asked them to open up with their suggestion and opinions and how they would execute their idea and make productive results with existing resources. Even though it was a slow start gradually everyone had something to say. As months went by and the suggestions put to trial. We started ruling out the non productive suggestions. Finally we arrived at handful of suggestions which started bringing in positive results. With some tweaks on the process we eventually came inside the top 10 performing dealers in India. By the time I left the firm a few months back they we consistently inside the top 3. All I did different is that I valued them and appreciated them genuinely in public for their efforts and ideas and guided them in whatever ways possible. So the same set of people when approached differently turns out to have a whole new side. The bottom line is no matter how low or high someone’s profile is, whenever they turn to do something good we should always make it a point appreciate them. Afterall we have nothing to lose by doing so.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the detailed comment santosh . You are perfectly correct . In my observation if many of the managers ( me including ) do this on a consistent basis not only the productivity goes up but people will start really loving their jobs . My dad also used to do the same thing when he was in spring manufacturing company in chennai long back . Being a people person (its a personality trait ) also definitely helps .. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just recalled a recent incident. Been to someone, whose job is to recieve payment issue a temporary slip further remit money in bank and issue the bank challan next day upon producing the temporary slip. Always noticed he had that harsh tone and bit rude in the dealings. Last time while I was in queue waiting for my next turn, he was serving someone who speaks english and had too many queries. And he was finding it too difficult to answer the queries as he was not so good at English and the harsh tone making its way to one of pity. One thing I noticed, he never looks up at the customer while serving them. My turn, on receiving the bank challan, just said "Thank You" and there it is . He looked up at me smiled and acknowledged in the nicest possible way.
    Wish if every one had thanked him in his job of collecting money, remitting in bank and issue the challan!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you and smile works wonders ..I wish more people used these two things which cost nothing ...
    Good to know that you are using them Binu

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just what the doctor ordered! Thank you is easy, but smile never clicks at the right time though with the 38 years of practice...lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete