Total Pageviews

Tuesday, January 15, 2013

the fox in the chicken nest ..

                                                                  I was 10 years old studying in alleppey , the Venice of the East .
Though i was studying in a good school which was known for its academics there was two things which were not there in that school . The fine arts ---music and dance and  girls  .

I wanted to learn music and the only way out was across the street . But unfortunately the music teacher was teaching only in the girls school separated from our all boys school by a road .  Even ekalavya didnt have the difficulty to be Dronacharyas disciple as that of the boy from all boys school to join for music classes in the all girls school across the street .  I wanted desperately to study music and that too with musical instrument harmonium and luck was on my side .  The girls school superiors were very known to my moms family as my mom and all her sisters had studied there long back  .  Thus i got special permission to enter the girls school in the morning to study music before the owners of the school arrived -- the girls of course .

Six months went by uneventfully i waking up early morning , going to the girls school , finishing my music lessons and then crossing the border to the boys school .  After six months i became greedy  and told my mom i wanted to learn more .  "Son , what you want to learn ..."  . She asked .

"Dance " I replied .
 She pondered . "Where is the dance teacher available "  .

The solution was ready with me "Amma , the same school evening they have dance class "  .
Known for six months good behaviour they gave permission for me to study dance . Only condition is i had my dance classes separately while all the girls had it separately .  . And because it was a girls school 90 percent of the time i was a mute spectator who was forced to watch the girls dancing .

In the one year i was there i was always a gentleman there and the end result was i could meet my two loves for the first time ---music and dance .  And because of that they gave a guest appearance for me in their group dance as " the boatman "  because a group dance with a dancer boy from the boys school was unthinkable at those times .

                                      Though always a gentleman :) i had a checking inspector inbuilt in my dance classes at the girls school . None other than my sister who was also studying there who along with her friends were in the dance class . Poor sister , she still tells me she had to walk few metres behind because as soon as the gate was crossed and we walked home the fox  with all its timidity had to walk with a particular chicken dropping the chicken at her home  .The chicken was my sisters pretty classmate and the fox was myself .   Looking back maybe  that was my first crush  .




.  

2 comments: