Total Pageviews

Friday, September 28, 2012

Children ---the future : Are we inculcating the "good" values

       Scenario 1 :  One big  city  in india

         Person 1  :         "  I  got  a new job . I am getting my first salary   "
         Me                    " Great  , when is the treat  ?  "
         Person 1           " Oh , Sorry  .. I  am  saving  money for my  tablet computer  "
         Me                   "  Ok  thats  cool  ..."

         Scenario 2  : another  big city in india

        Person 2           :  "  Please dont  walk with this heavy bag(10kg + )   for long  "
        Me                   : "  I  am used to it  .  Its  ok  "
        Person 2          :    "  Its not  ok  .  Let me carry it for sometime  "
        Me                  :  Ok  now  that you  have  carried it for sometime  let me carry it again
         Person 2        :  No  , its ok  ..  You must be tired . I will carry it till that line  (half a kilometre  away  )


                                            Both these people are in similar ages person 1 and person 2  (early 20s  ) .Have you observed any striking difference between both these interactions . Both are nice people ( i mean  it  )  but is there a subtle difference in their attitude ?
                                                    Both are known to me .  Can you guess whom i had  long back  presented  a mobilephone as gift   ( i dont do it every other day  btw  )  .
 All people  would say  it is  Person 2 but  the paradox is  it  is   Person 1

                                           I   firmly  believe  that  we  are fully responsible  for  the kids  showing  subtle  and  not so subtle signs  of  "Me first and me  last  attitude  "  in this  nuclear family  era  .  Seeing these examples    i   feel  arent we  inculcating  the wrong attitudes in the children  .  Regarding the first  scenario ,  there is nothing  wrong in saving  but at least  in joyful occassions  arent we taught  that  that joy  has to be shared  ?

                                                                                 Regarding the second scenario i had a  long discussion with their parents  and  true to my guesses  these value  system was  inculcated in their training  .

                                                                             I  am  not  giving  two  random examples  but  wherever  i have observed  in kids and young adults  the value system  they show in their interactions are learnt from home  .  I  was  just thinking  the same "Me  first and me  last  attitude "  isnt  it responsible for  the  increasing  number  of  parents  neglected by their kids  in their old age  .  The  very ones  who  are pampered  by numerous  gifts  who knows only to take  but  not to give  .

 Point to ponder  ....


2 comments:

  1. Okay, now i know who person 2 is. Is person one someone who is related to your favourite cousin.....?Will tell person 2 about your blog. Will be thrilled i am sure...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Person 2 stays in a beautiful deer filled campus with 150 species of animals :)

    ReplyDelete