Total Pageviews

Wednesday, July 3, 2013

On tachymeters and DSLR cameras---buy what you need

                                                  CT technician:   Sir , can you tell me how your watch works ?
Me :  sheepish grin .. Next time .. Honestly i dont know now ..

Having just completed a training program teaching him about an equipment costing crores he must be thinking why this person doesnt know how his watch works .  But its still the truth . Even now i dont know how to use the tachymeter in my watch after 4 years and rather not interested because i dont find the function useful in my day to day life .

I have seen innumerable people with a DSLR camera with them . But honestly barring a few how many of them use it to its optimum . Or at least half its optimum  .  And since even an entry level DSLR costs at least 4 times the cost of a point and shoot digital camera is it a value for money buy ?  Unless you are really interested in photography a DSLR is a status symbol . It is apparently to show the general public that you can afford a high end camera and also to make them believe that you are a great photographer . But more often than not when quality of images taken by it are worser than the point and shoot cameras it tells more about the "photographer " than the camera .This is not about the select few who are very good in photography and in their hands a DSLR works wonders .

Be it a "convection microwave with grill "  , iphone 5 , alienware laptop all these things get their full meaning only when they are fully utilised and that too by the person who deserves it .

Generally preferring beautiful things :)  when choosing a laptop long back i had only one main specification : that it should be rugged as i was very rough back then ... People used to ask me why i didnt buy the beautiful viao or at least a high end sleek toshiba  back then .  I was always happy with my black IBM thinkpad as it was still working after falling upside down from the bed and falling from a metre high during a 3 km walk on a hartal day .
                                                                    I am not perfect like in the tachymeter incident but i wish if more of us were to value the value for money factor in everything wouldnt it be a case where we have more money for the things we really need ....
                                                 
       

2 comments:

  1. Most of the time it is pure greed that makes us purchase even useless things. I cannot spend money easily (except for books) unless I know that the thing is fully useful for me & I need it. Still, I've burnt my fingers a couple of times buying things that I couldn't use & the money spent was a total waste.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said Paresh ... But for u i am sure considering ur interest in photography a DSLR is an apt buy :) its value for money ...
    thanks for reading and commenting .

    ReplyDelete