Total Pageviews

Tuesday, November 26, 2013

My experiments with cooking

I am a foodie to the core . But many years back though on an occasional basis i started venturing into the kitchen . It started with the nescafe shake which was made famous with the advertisements in TV long back with a shaker given free with nescafe . And though theres nothing to go wrong with a cold coffee the final taste depends on how well you shake and the proportions . The more passionately you shake it the tastier it became . And i realised later that the difference between the average cook and the best cook is "passion " .

I never envied rabbits for eating the carrots . Afterall carrot is not a great vegetable but i think the milkmaid free recipe book started me when i was in school to borrow moms grater and started grating the carrots and adding ghee and milk and of course milkmaid to make my first proper dish ghajar ka halwa .. As they say if people eat it without complaining you get passmark . It was passed .

Years passed and i spent only 1 percent of the time in kitchen and that time was used mainly to eat from moms preparations while they were being made . Then i had a eureka moment . I still think i made that recipe myself . (to the best of my knowledge ) . I named it too called prawns nariyalwaala .. (prawns with masala cooked in coconut milk )  . Prawns recipe was followed by crab curry and i made sure that i cleaned it myself .

While these high end non veg dishes was going on i one day made the "simple " vegeterian dish called sambar . In cooking if one p stands for passion the other p is proportion .  I learned it the hard way by making the "simple " sambar . First time i added so much water that finally the entire dish was thrown as it was like a vegetable soup and few people pour soup on rice .  Later i realised the proportions after asking around ( guys are bad at asking not only directions )  and from then on my sambar became edible .

Again without going to aviyal ( i still dont know it ) graduated to the great biriyani . But this time no experiments i learnt it from the veterans . From my father and mother separately because both had their distinct style of cooking .  To sum up ... i am still experimenting and all are welcome to try it (at their on risk )

No comments:

Post a Comment