Total Pageviews

Sunday, November 24, 2013

Mammootty and the rat snake --- my teachers

Many of my teachers had nicknames . Both when i was in college and when i was in school . None were put by me and i never called them nicknames . As i grew older i realised that just because some of my friends gave some of my teachers nicknames didnt mean they were disrespectful to them .Nicknames like petnames could be due to love also . Anyways coming to some of my teachers .

Rat snake (or chera ) was obviously our biology teacher . I dont know why he wasnt called a cobra or any other name . But when i think of him i remember one day when he asked all of us to draw the picture of a rabbit . Whats there in a picture drawing ?  It was fun . The fun part was however hard we tried the pictures drawn by us (even by the bookworms :) )  resembled other animals than a rabbit . Some resembled a rat . I stared at the picture i drew and i think it remotely resembled a rabbit .  What we were not prepared for was our biology teacher checking each of my friends pictures and many of the poor souls getting a muscle squeeze punishment if it resembled any other animal . And when he reached me he stared twice once at me and then at the picture . It was a just pass as i didnt get the punishment . But it was a narrow escape . Was he called rat snake because he was looking for rats in the picture . I dont know . Anyway he was called chera (malayalam for rat snake ).

Then there was mammootty (not the film star ) and frankly we were jealous of him :)  . Because in our mixed college while we guys were trying all our tricks to impress the girls the girls were getting impressed not by us but our chemistry teacher . He looked like mammootty the film star and he taught well . I used to like his class and i loved organic chemistry . Mammooty had a good class presence too as even the naughtiest of boys behaved well in his class .

Then there was" small" teacher a lady teacher whose name rhymed with small and also was of small built and also she was new to the teaching field . She was my friend . But in the class the poor teacher was the target of as many paper rockets than were put on by the space centre in trivandrum . She was nice but could not control the class .

Then there was "anki " the name of the dress worn by missionaries . Unfortunately our spoken english teacher was nicknamed anki .  He was a nice teacher but again he was particular that the english was spoken just like the britishers did . And the world famous malayali students (including me ) used to mangleesh never rose up to his expectations . And the punishment was a muscle squeeze .  If you wonder what this muscle squeeze was it was a pinching without injury by compressing the muscle in the back of the arm . In those days when our teachers punished us corporally we didnt go to court suing them or even hating them . They were committed and the love -hate relationship came out in the form of nicknames ..,.

I am in teaching field for last 13 years and dont know whether i am called which animal or villain character . But most of my students give me respect and is friends with me . As long as that is the case i dont care whatever i am called .. As they say whats in a name ... is Mammootty listening :)

No comments:

Post a Comment