Total Pageviews

Saturday, October 6, 2012

india bangladesh relations

One of my student a young technician in his 20s   who has travelled 400 kms to be an observer while i was teaching in Dhaka bangladesh :

" Sir we love india  "  ( I feel proud )  (They are giving my country great respect .)

" Sir , why every year in the border BSF is killing bangladeshi people as of today 100 numbers "

Me : No answer

I look at his face  ....  Its not one of pointing fingers in anger  . Its of helplessness

"Sir is it because we are poor country  "

Me : No answer  ...  (Unfortunately its true the killings as i read in the newspaper at least once during my 5 day stay  )


It is said that travelling opens your  eyes and ears and removes the last vestiges of your false pride .  I am still proud of my country india  (in a good way )  but  i understand that there is tremendous scope for improvement in its relationship with neighbours  .  We who criticise US foreign policy for certain actions fail to realise how our actions as a country is perceived by our neighbours . Seeing the "beautiful " people of Bangladesh i am really shocked that india could deal like this to Bangladesh especially  when india had a crucial role in getting Bangladesh freedom in 1971 .

As another Senior person put it " We want india not as our friend but as our Big brother  "  ... But not as Master  .  And unlike many criticisms i have heard in my homeland these two people were very clear that they were expressing their opinion knowing fully well that I am not to blame for indian foreign policy  .

There is tremendous scope for indian involvement in Bangladesh science technology progress , i mean potential  .  Not as a rich neighbour  but as a big brother whose economy may not be as strong as india but whose people are so loving towards indians .  If they can treat me  like a king why  cant we reciprocate and do good to them ?


No comments:

Post a Comment