Total Pageviews

Monday, February 6, 2012

The lesson my dad taught me

                                                    Many people have commented that i am not a typical doctor . Yes , so many people that i have lost count . No, its not because nowadays its my job is in teaching doctors and ct technologists and my job involves a mixture of radiology and physics and computer software .  Thats a point for another blog . But right from the day i passed MBBS through my radiology postgraduate days and even in my radiology practice days my friends and even new aquaintances told me i am not the typical doctor .  Curious i am , i ask them whats different .  They describe me that there is absolutely no ego feel when i interact with them . Irrespective of their status be it the peon in medical college calicut or my colleague in radiology i interact just as a friend should . Though i dont claim to be unique in this or that any of my doctor friends were unfriendly to peons (they were all nice characters ) , on observation i found that they were correct .  I used to deal with everyone  without any ego .

Recently only i found out why i am like i am . Its not because i had extra lessons in human equality at school or because i read great mens books on human equality or because i was the best human beings on earth ( I am just like anyone else ) . Except for one teacher i had in Calicut i didnt have any external role model for this trait  . And that role model was surprisingly my father .

Recently i saw him playing for hours with our maids kid . There is nothing great in that afterall its a kid . But  he played with it  just like playing with  my sisters twin kids without  even one percentage difference . The same attitude is also shown to anyone he interacts with . Be it the corporate CEO or the peon at the company he interacts with all of them with the same friendly attitude with not even an inkling that he is an engineer , belongs to a big family etc etc .  And in my life i have seen so many people who are the opposite , who change their behaviour faster than the chameleon when dealing with different kind of people ... depending on their status ,wealth ,religion etc . Recently again , i asked him why he is behaving like this .  His answer was simple . It is fate that determined that the maids kid was born as the maids kid and my sisters kid to be born as my sisters kids . So why there should be any difference in dealing with them differently . They are all equal in the eyes of God and me have no right to discriminate between anyone .

Coming back to me , unconsciously imitating my father in this trait , i never had any regrets . On the contrary i had more love and respect from many just because i dealt with them equally . Last but not the least , the best seafood in kerala was  available in Calicut was not had from any doctors or engineers home or from the best hotels of Calicut  , but from the peons who worked at Calicut .And the best meat dishes also from the ct technologists at calicut . Being a foodie i take it as their acceptance of me in inviting me to their home .

Disclaimer  :  They had nothing to gain from me as i was just a provisional tutor there with no adminitsrative powers . 

To sum up , though not a communist or a hyperreligious fanatic , my dad unconsciously taught me the true virtue of being human .... treat others equally . Thanks Appa (Dad...in tamil )

8 comments:

  1. Father are like this and my father teach me UNKA JO FARZ HAI AHELE SIYASAT JANE APNA TO PAIGHAME MOHABBAT HAI JAHAN TAK PAHUCHE
    it means whatever the other one thinks it’s their own matter but we should behave well and reach up to last person of word.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice one Haroon. I agree with you about your father. He does not discriminate at all. Very admirable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @irfana thanks for the comment ..
    @ zahroof nana ..if more people like him were there there would be bo need for "anti-discrimination " laws .

    ReplyDelete
  4. SIR ,
    YOU WERE A WONDER FOR ME FROM THE FIRST DAY ONWARDS,I BEGAN NOTICING YOU, ON A DAY WHEN ACCIDENTLY I HEARED YOUR VOICE IN A LOW BUT ANGRY MOOD, TO ONE OF YOUR COLLEAGUE / FRIEND INSIDE CT ROOM AT TRIVANDRUM MEDICAL COLLEGE, ".......(NAME) I AM NOT SUCH A PERSON ...I HAVE NO SUCH ..." THIS WAS THE SENTANCE YOU TOLD AT THAT MOMENT AND WHEN YOU SAW US (DRT STUDENTS)SUDDENLY YOU BOTH STOPPED THAT SUBJECT AND YOU WENT OUT. I NOTICED YOUR ANGRY FACE (CLEAN SHAVE BUT JUST BELOW LOWER JAW SOMEWHERE, YOU FORGET TO SHAVE)

    LATER ON I CAME TO KNOW THAT THERE WAS SOME TALK AGAINST DRT STUDENTS AND YOU WERE AGAINST THOSE WHO WERE AGAINST US...(STILL I AM NOT SURE WHETHER THE SUBJECT WHICH I CAME TO KNOW IS TRUE OR FALSE)

    THERE AFTER I SAW A TRUE HUMAN BEING IN YOUR NATURE, BEHAVIOUR, AND EVEN WHILE TALKING ALSO... I FELT YOU AS AN ADMIRABLE PERSON, WHICH PREVENTED ME FROM MAKING YOU AS MY FRIEND, EVEN WHEN I WAS WORKING AT CALICUT MEDICAL COLLEGE ALSO.

    I TOLD MANY TIMES TO MY FRIENDS A DR: SHOULD BE LIKE THIS

    ...AND NOW YOU REVEALED THE SECRET, IT IS AN INHERITTED FACTOR ... A LEGACY...GOT FROM YOUR FATHER .. AN IDEAL FATHER MOREOVER A PERFECT MAN ..

    NOW I FEEL YOUR FATHER IS MORE ADMIRABLE THAN YOU AND HE CAN BE PROUD OF YOU...

    ReplyDelete
  5. SORRY SIR IT BECAME LONG...!!! AND I DON'T KNOW HOW TO WRITE IN LESS SENTANCES

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome Haroon!! Now I have fallen in love with your dad!! Just like you said ,wish every parent in this world instilled those values in their children in their early childhood itself....Thanks to my mom who was my role model sure taught me not to discriminate among the poor and the wealthy ..In fact I grew up seeing her try to help the needy ..I try to teach my children the same principles ,to be thankful for what they have and to be kind to those who don't...now I will try even harder:)) If every human being in this world would have thought the same way ,the world would have been such a wonderful place to live in....

    ReplyDelete
  7. @pradeep.... thanks for the kind words . your observations are perfect .

    ReplyDelete
  8. @shubi ...though i wouldnt say my parents were perfect in all aspects , in putting key values in the mind of me , they had done a perfect job .and its nice to know that you are doing the effort to do the same for your kids .. wish more parents were like you ..
    regards

    ReplyDelete