Total Pageviews

Monday, December 5, 2011

Shanghai noon or the .mallu in Dragon land

I came to china day before yesterday by Cathay Pacific airways . The service was very good and they served Indian food in the flight upto hongkong . I was worried that I would be lost in the big airport and with the transit time of just one hour  I was really worried  .  But immediately on deplaning  I saw a nice Chinese flight attendant holding a board showing that the next gate for shanghai passengers  is gate number 50  .  My point is inspite of having the most advanced technologies the human touch could be seen typical of an asian country  . I like it  .  Was  it all human only  ..  No way . This was china where there was a unique blend of humanity and technology  .  I was walking for 10  minutes and suddenly I reached a subway . Felt like science fiction . Subway in an airport for transferring from one gate to another  . Hi-tech . Total time after I came out from the plane to hongkong and reached boarding gate of flight to shanghai only 20 minutes .  This is in sharp contrast to airport at Amsterdam where I had to virtually run to avoid missing the connecting flight  .  The connecting flight was also good and I had the first taste of proper Chinese food – thick flat noodles with seafood .  Much blander compared to the Chinese food available in india . I  reached shanghai by noon  . 
The shanghai airport is in pudong district of shanghai  and the immigration process was very smooth . The immigration officer with police badge on the shoulder  smiled .  I have passed through immigration of india , srilanka ,Kuwait and germany but a smile was first from immigration . 
Money changing at airport to Chinese RMB or Yuan  was done and got a local SIM  for cheaper calling  .  Those who on  their international roaming my only advice is try to avoid for it costs too much the money which can be better spent on shopping or eating  . I saw the arrow pointing to the Maglev train which is faster than the bullet train and the French TGV train  and much cheaper . I will use it later as  it doesn’t go to  my hotel area  .  Got a taxi  from  the taxi queue below.  (Never take taxi from solicitors like any big city  )  .  One girl was calling  to me  but as mamma told never go after a girl who calls you J
                                                    Always  I repeat always take the address of your hotel printed in Chinese and the hotel number as most drivers don’t talk a word of English. And learning Chinese is not easy  .  The cityscape is great  with 8  lane roads with  separate cycle tracks  .  The buildings are beautiful as shanghai has a cultural history with interspersing of architecture of many cultures . Even the  modern buildings are stylish  .  Many buildings are 25 floors +  in downtown shanghai  .  Vehicles are ninety percent  sedan type Volkswagen and a Chinese company predominates . Don’t ask me the name of the Chinese car company I cant read Chinese .  But  leave  your  notion of  “Chinese “ make .  The car  is very stylish with great build quality . Its finish is better than Volkswagen passat  .  Another thing is so far I haven’t seen a single beggar here  .  The people are all fashionably dressed  ,being winter ,  with all the stylish overcaoats and puss in boots shoes  . I  reached my hotel  Citadines which is  a  chain of  hotels worldwide  .  After checking in the hotel  I strolled through the roads of shanghai  .  Everywhere I look I see  the look of a developed country  .  You never feel that you are in a country with most population in the world  .  And yes ,  there was not even  a  single  political flag  anywhere  .   No hartals , bandhs or dirtying or roads  ---and remember this is a communist country  .   My state  kerala should follow the Chinese example  which  being the seat of communism doesn’t have  any  of  it affecting the day to day life of common man  .  Just before the day  of my coming here there was a bandh or strike against walmart in india  . And  I saw a walmart  in china  and  the Chinese supermarkets are equally flourishing there no problem  .  My point is  though india is shining  and I am proud to be an Indian we have  to learn a lot  from our asian neighbor  . 
Another  thing  I  noticed  here which can be copied is their culture of sports  .  There were numerous basketball courts and shuttle badminton courts on side of road  and the public both children and adults were playing  .  In india sports are delegated to  college age  people . No wonder I hardly  saw an obese Chinese  .  There were huge  stores selling exclusively sports goods like Decathlon  .  Trekking outfits , fishing rods , archery equipment ---you name it its there .  The store was 15 minutes walk from my hotel 

1 comment:

  1. Wow haroon.. That was interesting. Write more about your experiences there.. Abusha mami

    ReplyDelete