Total Pageviews

Saturday, August 13, 2011

meru cabs .....driven by a manager

Last  week i was  in  delhi  and  during  one  day  after  a late  exit  from the  office  called  for the  radio taxi meru  .  Usually  they send  an sms  telling  when the cab will arrive  but nowadays  the driver  calls  us  20 minutes  prior to pickup  .  Being  "excellent  " with telling directions  i answered  the driver  nevertheless  and then gave  the mobile  to my  colleague  so that he could  provide him with directions to delhi office  . 
My  friend  as well as  myself  were  amazed  at the  excellent  english  he  was speaking  .  I  also  noticed that compared  to usual meru drivers  who were  very  courteous  this guy  had  an air of authority  in his voice  (  not  rude  just  an air of  aurthority  like  a senior  company  official  )   .

In the cab  after  sometime  we started  to talk  and after  a few minutes  i asked  him  what  he did before  he joined  meru  .  I  had guessed  it right  ... he was indeed a senior  manager  who worked for a natural gas company  rendered  jobless  due to  closing down of the company  . The earnings at meru  are  decent  .  But  i  was thinking  and  also agreed  with  him  that  it was  destiny  that  made him where  he is now  .  And  i  felt  thankful  to the same destiny  that  i  am  in the rear  seat  of the  car   .  

This  incident  also  made  me remember  an incident  where  i  was  teaching  for  a week  at  a  big  hospital  at  tamil nadu  .  It  was an enjoyable experience with  the  owner  of the  hospital  ,  a padmasree won doctor  who was  a  great  host .  On  the  last day  when i was about to leave  , he asked  me  to join an annadaan ceremony  in which  he  used  to  serve  the  peon ,sweeper etc  of the  hospital  free  midday meals on behalf of the hospital  . My  role was to physically  serve  the  rice  to the  waiting  people  . 
After  serving  a few people  he called me  and asked  me  how  did it feel  .  I  told him  i felt wonderful  . 
Then  he asked me  which side  of the  rice  i was in  .  I  didnt understand the  question  .  Later  on i  realised  what he  meant  . His  point  was  it  was destiny  that  made  me serve  the  rice  to the  needy  rather  than  being  a  needy  person  with  a  bowl waiting for a free meal . 

I  think  we  should  be  happy  for  what  we  get  for  it could  have been much worse  .  Its  partly our hardwork but  the  bulk  of what we  get  is  destiny  .  Our  job is to make  the  best use  of it  .


2 comments:

  1. true !!!!! destiny does play a very imp role regardless of whatever people say, do read ur blogs from time to time mr haroon marikar :) and really like them

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for the appreciation . will start writing more blogs :) ...

    ReplyDelete