Total Pageviews

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

little adventures .....on water and land

Life  is  an adventure  or  a  journey  ....  Thats  a truth  and  philosophy  but  this  time  i am going to describe  two  mini  adventures  i  did  a  few years  back  .   It  was  when i was working in north  kerala  as a  radiologist  .  Many weekends  i used to  go to trivandrum to see  my parents  . But  some weekends  i  was the equivalent  of  "home alone  "  in my apartment  .  So  one sunday morning  after  a  quick  breakfast  i decided  to visit  one  of my  staff  .   Going by  land  was  boring  . So i decided  to  go by the  next means of transport  ---water  .  She  had told me that  her  house  was near  the  badagara  river  and had given me rough directions .  No  google  maps in those good old days  .  I  went  to  a  shop  where  i used  to have  tea once in a while  and the shopkeeper  had  a  boat  .  Boat  in the sense that  the  driver  is yourself  and  there  is no motor. Basically  a  traditional  small  "vallam  "  approximately 8 ft  by  2 ft  .  and  i had  to row  all the way  .  He  gave me his boat  and  i  the  lone  rower set  out  alone on my  solo journey .  In retrospect  i think  i should have stocked food supplies  because  the  total  journey  to base camp  took  approximately  7  hours  .  Initially  it was  simple  ....  i kept  on rowing  enjoying the  natural beauty  on either side  of  river  .  Then i realised  there were  two  problems  ...one  i  was  moving slowly inspite  of  rigorous  rowing  .   Later  i knew  that  i was  rowing against  the tide  as  the  river  was  approximately  3  kms  from the  ocean   .  Another  problem  was  i underestimated  the distance  to  her  house  .  Anyway  once started  there was no turning back  ....  Soon i  reached   a  bridge  rather  under  a  bridge  .  Some people  were  fishing there  and  i smiled  and  waved at  them  . But  the  funny part  was  even after  waving  they were  in the  same  position  even after  ten minutes  .  I realised  that  inspite of my  vigorous  rowing  the  tide  and  currents  near  the  bridge pillars were  making my  absolute displacement zero . Luckily i  was able  to steer  the  boat  away from the  pillars  were  the currents  were too strong  . 
Heat  stroke-----  i  was  lucky  again  ---  i never  thought  about the total  exposure to the midday suns heat while i was rowing  continuosly  .  Luckily  i  didnt get any  heat stroke  .  Rowing  continued  and  suddenly the river  became  double the  size  and  split into two  .  We  are  used  to highways  were there are  boards kept showing directions and people are around  .  But  in a river where is  the board and  who will  give the directions  .  Luckily  i  saw  a  person in the distant bank  and  i  rowed  and reached them. They gave me  directions  and  soon  (rather after another  2 hours  )  i  saw  my  small boat  swayed  by  the  waves  and  in the  distance  i could see  the arabian sea  .   My  journey  had not ended  .  In true kerala  style  i  rowed  to the nearest  bank  , tied  my  boat  to  a coconut tree and  drank  3  bottles of  soda  from the nearest  coconut leaf thatched shop  .  Nice  villagers  they  told  me  the  way  to my staffs  house  through  land  ...  i  then asked  the way  through water  also  as  i  had to park  my  "vehicle"  .
It  was  very close  in a small canal  connected  to the river  .  I  tied  the boat  again  and visited  her  and her family  .  They were surprised  to see the  visitor  coming  in  a  boat  .   I  had  a sumptuous  kerala  lunch at her home  and   talked about  the  local  news  with her  father  ...
By  around  3  pm  i   again started  rowing  back  to my  base camp  .  This journey was uneventful  because  i  had  now  been used to rowing  and  knew  my route  clearly  like an expert highwayman  .
When  the  sun  started  to set  i  reached the  teashop  where  the  owner  was anxiously waiting for my return  .  What  was supposed to be  a  2  hour  journey  ultimately  took  the whole day  ....Nice  man   he  didnt scold  me  even though he was  very worried  .....And  for  me  i am content with  my  small adventure   in the  land  of  Northern ballads  ....Badagara  ....

No comments:

Post a Comment